Change the world by changing minds. Help AFSers and your community appreciate and celebrate cultural differences.
AFS transforms volunteers into global citizens and changemakers
Join a global community of change-makers and people like you. Serve as a change agent in your community.
Develop practical cross-cultural skills and find your place as a global citizen, leader and changemaker in your community.
Lead diverse teams at home or around the world and promote inclusive societies for sustainable development.
How to become an AFS Volunteer
Send an inquiry
To ensure the safety of and support to AFS students, all volunteers must be registered. Our application process is thorough and provides what we need to make volunteers successful. Feel stuck? We’re here to help.
Meet AFS volunteers
Find out more about us and what volunteering with AFS is all about. Then together we can clarify the best role for you based on availability, and what you want to learn and do.
Receive basic training to be an AFS Volunteer, including What Every AFSer Should Know About Intercultural Learning™, to prepare for an engaging, meaningful volunteer assignment.
Begin your journey
You will have an amazing time no matter what you do for AFS. You’ll meet interesting students, make friends from around the world, work with passionate volunteers and gain intercultural and other skills that will last a lifetime.
Every volunteer makes a huge impact at AFS
- Match AFS students with host families
- Help host families get to know their AFS student
- Be a liaison for host schools
- Introduce international students to your community
- Check in with students or host families regularly to monitor programs
- Organize orientations for study abroad and hosting programs
- Arrange awesome social events and cultural trips
- Bring host families together to share experiences
- Set-up information sessions for students, families or volunteers
- Guide AFSers and others through intercultural learning journeys
- Introduce students to your country’s culture
- Facilitate learning through creative activities
- Share your own global experience and cultural insights
Manage & Lead
- Launch community projects helping others learn how to respect, appreciate and value other cultures
- Serve on local AFS groups and boards
- Learn how to manage local volunteers
- Inspire others to serve their community
AFS Volunteer Awards
🙋 Nominations for the 2022 AFS Volunteer Awards are now open! 🙋
Submit your nominations by October 18, 2022.
All Volunteer Award Winners will be announced on International Volunteer Day on December 5.
Challenge yourself while supporting others
By volunteering with AFS you can:
- Work closely with experienced volunteers to find creative solutions
- Take on challenging situations for personal growth
- Polish practical skills to gain a competitive edge at school or work
- Train to become an intercultural learning facilitator
- Learn how to make better decisions and solve problems
- Develop leaderships skills you will use forever
Engaging with my community; meeting people from around the world
“Joining my local group of AFS volunteers gave me the opportunity to develop many skills, such as how to work in a team and interact with people from different backgrounds. As an AFS volunteer, I am more engaged in my community and I meet people from all over the world. Helping students, teachers and families embark on intercultural learning adventures makes me appreciate the importance of world peace and intercultural understanding.”
—Marcela Vazquez, AFS Argentina volunteer
Change in the making
AFS Award Helps Young Changemakers Advance Their WorkThe AFS Award for Young Global Citizens is an annual recognition of young people for their commitment to improving the global community and their actions contributing to a more just,…
Daring to Reshape the World at the AFS Youth AssemblyIt’s a wrap on the 2022 AFS Youth Assembly! Hundreds of dynamic young global citizens from 76 countries gathered in New York City from August 12-14, 2022 aspiring to Reshape…
AFS Facilitator selected for Stevens Initiative’s 2022 Virtual Exchange AcademyThis year’s Virtual Exchange Academy, organized and run by the Stevens Initiative, a key AFS partner and strong ally in the international education field, featured 80 educators from 20 countries…
AFS Global Ideathon: A Hackathon for Ideas
How can we create sustainable solutions for a more just and peaceful world? The AFS Global Ideathon is an opportunity for people who believe international education and intercultural exchange can make a difference and want to be involved in shaping the future by encouraging creativity and exchanging ideas. For two years in a row, this 48-hour digital event (a marathon for ideas = ideathon) was run by AFS volunteers for everyone around the world who identifies with our mission. Together they brought forward solutions to help our organization work towards our mission to make the world a more just and peaceful world.
AFS is an international voluntary, non-governmental, non-profit organization that provides intercultural learning opportunities to help people develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to create a more just and peaceful world.
How do we enhance the volunteer experience?
Anyone who has been part of ensuring volunteers have a positive impact on their communities understands this requires constant planning. On the Volunteer Toolkit you’ll find training, tools, manuals and more to help you increase your volunteers’ engagement.