Applications accepted through Sunday, 2022 July 31.
Reports to: Director of Risk and Crisis Management
Internal candidates only
Within the parameters of the AFS Articles of Partnership and AFS Policies, the Manager of Program Policy and Support (PPS) is responsible for the maintenance and development of program policies in and for the AFS Network. Daily activities include monitoring of relevant issues and situations, oversight and support of Partner offices in complex medical or counseling cases of participants, coaching support staff in Partner offices, training of AFS staff in-house, via distance learning, and at training meetings. The Manager PPS is on call for crisis situations at all times, unless otherwise arranged for vacations, etc., and works closely with the Director Risk and Crisis Management in emergency situations in the Network, and replaces him/her during absences. S/he will take on other tasks and projects as assigned by the Director.
- Monitor and coach staff in Partner offices on response and communication in serious medical, psychological or counseling situations involving participants.
- Act as a Mediator when AFS Partner offices do not agree on how a participant case is being / should be handled, guided by AFS’ Standards, Policies & Procedures.
- Act as AFS’s key liaison with AFS’ medical assistance provider(s) in gathering medical opinions on participant situations and in arranging medical evacuations when needed.
- Make the case for ex gratia payments when appropriate and make requests when appropriate for use of the Emergency Fund.
- Follow-up and monitor participant legal cases in conjunction with AFS Legal Team.
- Manage and monitor the Support Module in AFS Global in close cooperation with the AFS Legal team.
- Track trends in risk issues, types of claims, or problems that point to the need for special attention or management.
- Act as AFS’s primary contact with United Educators with regard to participant cases.
- Provide UE with new case notifications and case updates.
- Work with AFS’ PR firm, in particular keeping them updated on serious cases which may generate media / social media interest.
- Advise INT Partner Engagement Contacts of issues related to their Partners in general or individually.
- Provide regular updates to the Crisis Management Team and/or Senior
- Management on issues the Risk Management Team is monitoring.
- Carry overall responsibility for maintenance and development of program support policies and related manuals, in particular AFS’ Standards, Policies & Procedures.
- Oversee and coordinate Participation Agreement and waiver issues in conjunction with the AFS Legal team.
- Give input and provide support to other teams regarding broader participant issues and policies as appropriate.
- Monitor the content of the AFS application to assure compliance with risk management and Quality standard requirements.
- Participate in training of new staff focusing on AFS policy and Participant Support.
- Train partner staff and volunteers at events organized by AFS International and in conjunction with others such as EFIL
- Develop and implement appropriate training programs for support staff and volunteers.
Crisis Management Team
- Act as Documenter or Alternate Team Leader, depending on the composition of the Crisis Management Team.
- Together with the Director RCM, coordinate regular training for the CMT.
- Together with the Director RCM keep the AFS Crisis plans updated.
- Pragmatic “get it done” implementer.
- Results oriented with high energy and a strong work ethic.
- High standards of accuracy, thoroughness, quality, able to meet deadlines, work efficiently and set priorities appropriately.
- Strong interpersonal, global competence and communications skills in an international setting, including ability to build working relationships across and outside of the AFS network.
- 5-7 years’ experience, ideally in a participant support capacity in intercultural exchange.
- Ability to use reason and persuasion as you are not a ‘supervisor’ of anyone.
- Strong training skills – both in person, via phone and writing.
- Ability to work with websites and technical tools, including Salesforce.
- Customer service oriented.
- Professional command of English language necessary (additional languages preferred).
- Ability to operate independently and within a team environment.
- Must be a quick learner and have a sense of humor and great patience.
- Willingness to be ‘on call’ 24/7 outside of vacation time.
- Ability to look at situations from multiple sides.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum BA in liberal arts, focus on psychology, sociology or intercultural competence preferred, but not required.
- Additional training in mediation, intercultural understanding and competence strongly preferred.
- Training in Risk Management.
- Willingness to develop skills via ongoing training.
Location and Salary
This is a full time remote position. US outposted candidates are considered with possible verification of employment in their home countries. We can assist with relocation to New York City/pursue a visa sponsorship for this position, if desired. The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $100,000 per year.
At AFS Intercultural Programs, the health and safety of our team is always a top priority. All AFS team members are required to be fully vaccinated, unless there is an approved medical or religious exemption. Finalists must provide proof of vaccination prior to the start of the role.
How to Apply
Applications accepted through Sunday, 2022 July 31. We look forward to receiving and reviewing your unique qualifications! Interested candidates may apply by sending a detailed cover letter and CV to [email protected] with the subject line Manager, Manager, Program Policy & Support.
AFS Intercultural Programs is a 106 year old global not-for-profit Network that provides intercultural learning opportunities to help people develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to create a more just and peaceful world. Through our international exchange programs, education initiatives, volunteerism and advocacy, we empower young people from all backgrounds with essential global skills—and the passion for making a difference.
AFS is the organization of choice for 55,000+ volunteers and 1,100 staff globally whose primary interest is to facilitate the acquisition of intercultural learning and global competence skills. Our learning programs for volunteers and staff are best in class, ensuring our people have a positive impact on their communities, and adequately support our AFS programs wide-range of beneficiaries.