AFS celebrated its 100th anniversary by holding two international Symposiums at the UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, France in November 2014.
The high level Learning to Live Together—from Ideas to Action: AFS Global Intercultural Education Symposium and the 100 Years Young! Youth Workshop & Symposium addressed the critical challenges, concerns, opportunities and debates surrounding global citizenship education:
- What is global citizenship?
- How do we better develop active global citizens who are prepared to address the challenges of our interconnected world?
- Who is responsible for delivering global citizenship education?
- Why is the debate over educating global citizens so complex and contentious?
- Is global citizenship education the most effective way to develop citizen change makers who work across differences to solve shared challenges for a more just and peaceful world?
- And finally, what actions must we take to expand the global citizenship education movement?