Applications are now open for the AFS Global STEM Academies, a full scholarship program for active global citizens who are energized to help solve some of today’s biggest global challenges. Scholarship winners will enrich their sustainability knowledge and STEM skills through an interactive, hands-on curriculum, while developing critical global competencies, including problem-solving, analytical skills, intercultural understanding, and social innovation.
Students ages 15-17.5, from more than 18 countries worldwide, are welcome to apply. Ideal candidates express a keen interest in STEM and sustainability and share a desire to learn about and collaborate with a diverse cohort of global peers.
Applications are open until January 8, 2023.
What are the AFS Global STEM Academies?
The Academies are full-scholarship, 16-week study abroad programs interested in STEM and sustainability. All scholars start with a 12-week virtual STEM and social impact curriculum (online), developed in partnership with UPenn. Then, scholars participate in a 4-week immersive travel and study abroad experience in one of the six Academy destinations: Brazil, China, Egypt, India, the USA, or Europe (Germany, Belgium, Netherlands). The program focuses on sustainability, the energy transition, global skills, and social impact.
All participants who successfully complete the program will receive the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania Center for Social Impact Strategy.
Why apply for this program?
AFS Global STEM Academies provide a unique way for students to:
- Gain key global competencies through interactive, intercultural experiences, and learn more about the skills necessary to thrive at global institutions and organizations.
- Develop critical STEM skills and explore social impact through real-life STEM case studies, innovations, and careers, including opportunities to meet STEM industry leaders and learn how different organizations rely on STEM skills in critical roles.
- Earn a certificate from AFS and the University of Pennsylvania to reflect your experience through a curriculum in STEM and social impact.
- Gain the skills, experience, and confidence to become a changemaker.
- Become part of a global community. Upon satisfactory program completion, scholars will be invited to access networking events, professional development opportunities, a global youth conference, and more.
This program is a part of the AFS Global STEM Changemakers Initiative, which aims to provide 5,000 young people worldwide with immersive learning experiences through STEM, global competence, and sustainability-focused intercultural exchange programs. The scholarships are sponsored by bp, a global integrated energy company. The initiative spans five years (2022-2026) and is designed to equip the next generation of STEM leaders and changemakers with access to the education, skills, and knowledge needed to help the world transition to a more sustainable future.