On April 18, 2022, the UN Department of Global Communications (DGC) and AFS Intercultural Programs partnered for a side event at the 2022 ECOSOC Youth Forum. The interactive workshop titled, “Developing Young Active Global Citizens to Tackle the SDGs” attracted more than 400 registrants interested in discovering the intercultural skills young people need to support the COVID-19 recovery, contribute toward a sustainable future and drive effective public advocacy.
The event introduced young participants to relevant global and intercultural knowledge and skills to help them further develop as active global citizens. It gave them useful intercultural education tools that will equip them to support the COVID-19 recovery in their communities and beyond, contributing to building a sustainable future. The session highlighted the importance of effective communications and public advocacy to impact change.
Watch the recording now:
Event speakers included young leaders from around the world, as well as representatives of the UN DGC and AFS:
- Hawa Diallo, Chief, Civil Society Unit, UN Department of Global Communications
- Nicole Lebenson Angulo, Deputy Chief, Organization Development, AFS Intercultural Programs
- Ana Carolina Cassiano, Head of Education Development, AFS Intercultural Programs
- Jadayah Spencer, Executive Director, International Youth Leadership Institute (IYLI)
- Sipho Ncube, Ambassador, Youth Assembly
- Luisa Romero, Co-Founder, Get Up and Go Colombia & Innovation Officer, CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
- Shah Chowdhury, Co-Founder & President, Footsteps Foundation
- Amanda Magnani, Journalist & Photographer
Great insights and advice from our panelist of young active global citizens during today’s @UNECOSOC youth forum side event! Many thanks to the @UNDGC_CSO for partnering with @AFS on this panel discussion and workshop. #UNwithCivilSociety #Youth2030 pic.twitter.com/ZrMseee2XY
— Nikki Lebenson Angulo (@NikkiLebAngulo) April 18, 2022
Young people attending the workshop had the chance to participate in a hands-on activity facilitated by AFS Intercultural Programs, which helped them reflect on action they can start taking in their communities to address the SDGs. The participants expressed strong satisfaction with the workshop content and relevance, indicating they are interested in attend future AFS and UN DGC workshops.
To continue connecting with like-minded peers, and developing global competence and intercultural skills, all attendees are invited to join The Youth Assembly (August 12-14, 2022 in New York City).
Thank you everyone for attending the workshop, being active global citizen and upholding the SDGs. Organized as side event for @UNECOSOC Youth Forum 2022 by @AFS and @UNDGC_CSO #YouthLead #Youth2030 @UNYouthEnvoy pic.twitter.com/1QUQW49Cgp
— The Youth Assembly (@YouthAssembly) April 18, 2022